If you’re looking for a beautiful engagement ring that is also accessible in terms of cost, then checking out some moissanite ring options might be the best fit for you. While it may not be as widely popular as your traditional engagement diamond ring, affordable moissanite engagement rings have become increasingly widespread due to their durability, characteristic shine, and their cost accessibility. Read on to learn more about moissanite and why they make the perfect engagement jewelry and explore five beautiful and affordable examples of moissanite engagement rings.
What is Moissanite
Before you commit to a piece of jewelry for the rest of your lives, it’s always a good idea to learn a bit more about the stone, where it comes from, and some of the important underlying properties. Moissanite was first discovered in 1893 from the remnants of a meteorite that landed in Arizona and left minuscule particles of silicon carbide. Today, these particles have been replicated in labs and many view them as diamond replicas given the similarity in stone type. There are several unique features that moissanite has when it comes to the comparison to diamond, and it is becoming increasingly common to view it as a stone in its own right as opposed to just a simulant of the diamond.
Moissanite vs Diamond
While many people have heard of lab-grown diamonds, moissanite is actually a completely different stone than the diamond. Because of this, it has some intrinsic properties that distinguish it from the diamond. For example, moissanite ranks higher than diamonds on the refractive index, meaning that the light refraction of the stone is more prone to rainbow refraction and a general increase in sparkle and shine. Moissanite is also almost as hard as a diamond, coming it at around 9.25 on the Mohs scale and making it an extremely durable stone. Many people also appreciate the sustainability of moissanite as an alternative diamond option given the fact that it is grown in a lab and tracking the mining history to make sure your jewelry has been ethically sourced is not an issue with moissanite. Finally, one of the most distinctive differences is that moissanite is a much more affordable option, often coming in at around a tenth of the cost of diamonds that are similar in shape and size.
Why Moissanite is Perfect for Engagement Rings
There are so many different options available when purchasing a moissanite engagement ring, meaning it shouldn’t be a challenge to find the perfect stone. More classic and traditional moissanite comes with a slight hue of yellow-green, which is said to be similar to an H-I color graded diamond. If this look doesn’t quite fit what you’re searching for, you can also check out the more contemporary colorless moissanite which closely matches that of the colorless diamond.
When you’re searching for the setting of your moissanite ring, it’s also important to keep in mind that many bands incorporate smaller cut diamonds to frame the larger center stone. If this is the style you’re looking for, make sure you correctly color match the surrounding stones with your larger central stone so as to keep the appearance consistent. Luckily, investing in a larger moissanite center stone will help give you the extra money to perfectly match your surrounding stones to be exactly what you’re looking for.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Ring
If you're embarking on the journey to choose an engagement ring for your partner, there are a few general tips to follow. The first is to ask your partner's close friends or family if they have an inkling of style choices. Many people will often slip friends and family significant details for just this moment, so make sure you're doing some research. When gathering information, be sure to check in and gather advice on the following:
- The desired shape of the stone
- Type of metal for the band (ie yellow gold, white gold, silver, platinum)
- Carat size
- Ring measurements
Getting this info through friends and family as well as doing some of your own research into pre-existing jewelry will help give you a great idea of where to start your search and what you're looking for. Make sure to also cost out a reasonable budget beforehand so you know what exactly is within your price range before you start your shopping.
Top 5 Affordable Engagement Rings from Moissanite Outlet
If you’re looking for some beautiful examples of moissanite engagement rings, take a look at these stunning pieces from moissanite outlet for some great ideas about size, shape, and accents.
- Cushion Halo Ring: This beautiful engagement ring features a cushion-cut moissanite stone with a halo of 35 sparkling moissanite gems surrounding it. The weight is 1.37 diamond equivalent and it’s set in a 14k white gold four-prong setting with a striking band.
- Pear Halo Split Shank Ring: This ring also features a beautiful halo border of moissanite stones surrounding a unique pear cut larger moissanite stone in the center with a three-prong setting. The ring also displays a gorgeous split shank band of 14k white gold.
- Oval Halo Ring: If sterling silver and some more intricate halo design is your speed, check out this gorgeous oval-cut halo ring set in a sterling silver four-prong setting. The ring weight is a 1.98 diamond equivalent and the halo features some unique and intricate point designs around the larger moissanite oval center.
- Round Halo Two-Toned Gold Ring: For something which has a uniquely striking appearance, check out this gorgeous two-toned gold round cut halo ring which sports 1.22 carats of moissanite. The center stone has a four-prong setting, and the band features a unique cat-eye shape with intricate detailing.
- Round Solitaire Split Shank Ring: If you’d like for your center stone to be more of a stand-out piece and the halo vibe isn’t for you, check out this round-cut solitaire moissanite on a 14k white gold split shank band.
Shop Affordable Moissanite Engagement Rings Today
For more beautiful and affordable moissanite engagement rings, check out the amazing selection we have at Moissanite Outlet. We have several incredible weekly deals, and our beautiful selection of moissanite pieces will ensure you find the perfect ring for that special someone!